Friday 25 November 2011

Back to Work

Summer is approaching in Wellington (although you'd never believe it looking out the window this evening!) so it's time to do some race planning.

Post Hawaii I had a fantastic holiday and have been just getting back into things over the last few weeks.  A rib injury has stopped me in the pool but I've been ticking over on the bike and losing some holiday puppy fat with steady running, 105k last week seems to have got things under control.

It's a great feeling having bagged Kona, chasing that slot is no longer the goal and I can enjoy my racing a little more.  I've been chatting to coach Dave Parry as I fancy really giving Taupo (Ironman) a nudge in March.  We've tweaked the plan from the normal Ironman build and I'll be hitting some speed work through to Christmas.  Then an accelerated 8 weeks Ironman build, on top of the speed might leave me with a enough sparkle on top of the endurance to go for it at Taupo - well that the plan 16 weeks out!

On the way I'm going to try tick off some of NZ's finest racing...

Through to March I'll do various bits of racing in Wellington, be it Splash n Dash events at Oriental Parade (don't miss these fantastic Wednesday night sessions) or some Scorching triathlon fun at Scorching Bay.

Then I'll get serious and hit two half Ironmans before the big one in March

21 January 2012 - Challenge Wanaka Half

12 February 2012 - Wells Half Ironman

3 March 2012 - Ironman NZ (Taupo)

Finally, with the ITU World Champs in Auckland next year it'd be a travesty to not try and get an AG slot, so I've had to enter the Wellington Qualifier the weekend after Ironman...

All I need now is Capital Cycles to take stock of some BMC TT01's and I'll be all set....


No comments: