Thursday 17 March 2011

Oxfam Trailwalker 100k Run

As most of you know I like to do the odd endurance challenge for my own personal satisfaction.  Well for the first time in 8 years I'm doing something for others and asking for your support in the form of a few dollars sponsorship for my latest escapade.
 
A few months back one of my Ironman training buddies mentioned that she was a man short for her Oxfam 100 team.  I'd heard of the event but not given it much attention, when Deb told me the deal I couldn't say no.  The walk / run must be completed by all members of a four man team and it covers 100k weaving cross-country around Lake Taupo, central North Island, NZ.
 
So it is that in 3 weeks we'll be toeing the line for a 62 mile run.  Thankfully I've managed my aspirations (thanks team for getting me in check) and we'll not be going for any records, however we do hope to run as much as possible.  This is not an insignificant challenge, it's 2.5 marathons, off road, without a break.  Undoubtedly there will be tears, twisting, chaffing, swelling and all other unmentionable ailments you can and can't imagine.  True this is the stuff I do for fun, but I hope you'll agree it's worth a few of your dollars to know I am doing this for Oxfam and all the fantastic work they do around the world.  Every penny of your donation will go to helping those that need it the most.
 
I appreciate the timing of this isn't the best, there a lot of terrible things happening in the world at the moment and we are all torn on where to send our bit of help, but if you can spare a few dollars/pounds please do make a donation at our team page here;
 
http://www.oxfam.org.nz/events/OxfamTrailwalker2011/OTW11_206 ) - note to the Poms: NZ$20 is about 10 quid.
 
Thank you in advance
 
Laurence
 

No comments: